Myofunctional appliances are implements designed to adjust the shape, size, and position of the jaw bones for orthopaedic purposes. It is designed for children who are in need of corrective measures to the positioning of their jaw bones, for either aesthetic or functional purposes. We can create a custom-fabricated myofunctional appliance that can be worn on the teeth or the jaws to ensure the healthy, painless, symmetrical growth of both the upper and lower jaw.
There are two types of this kind of appliance available at Dubai Sky Clinic:
These implements are designed to be worn and removed easily. Our in-house orthodontist will provide patients with specific instructions on how to properly use the appliance, and for how long it should be worn.
The fixed design, on the other hand, is implemented directly on the teeth or to fixed braces, to remain there for a set period of time. These are often implemented when the patient is at the tail-end of his or her growth spurt, with only a few months remaining. It can also be applied on to patients who are finding it difficult to follow the set period of use for their removable appliance.
- This treatment is healthier and better for airway and the health of the child.
- Its an easier option for creating more room for the tongue to retrain in the maxillae and to restore the right way of breathing and swallowing.
- It is unobtrusive and does not affect speech.
- If the child starts treatment early (below 8yrs old) he/she often does not need an expander.
- The next steps in alignment become so much easier after this treatment.
- Often long term retainers are not needed.